Nov 30, 2010

New Look 6808

This photoshoot business isn’t really working out well, is it?  Well, you can at least see it.  In real life, this is a bit more pink and not so orange.  I chose the collar from View C but left off the bow.  Here is the line art:



This was made from a really nice, lightweight cotton I found on the bargain table at Hancock’s.  I thought this fabric needed something with a vintage look. I would have made a dress if there had been more fabric on the bolt.  As you can see, this top doesn’t quite fit right but that’s okay.  Nobody can claim that I tend to over-fit patterns. 

 
I shortened the upper bodice and sleeve caps by a half inch, which I like because the armholes are higher and I can freely move my arms up and down – a bit of a novelty for me!  As usual, I had to broaden the back and I think that amount was 1.5 inches, total across.  That’s a lot!  I made that increase down the entire length of the back.  The bust dart on the right is higher than the one on the left, which has happened to me before.  I finally figured out yesterday that it’s because my right shoulder is meatier/higher than my left and it’s pulling the bodice up just a bit.  I’ll have to make that correction on the right from now on.  I think the increased muscle mass is from all the dope-slapping I have to engage in at my job.

I moved the zipper from the side to the back and made the collar adjustment accordingly.  My muslin had the zipper at the side and I found it to be very annoying.  Next time, I’m going to alter the back to have buttons instead.   


 
I found the neck facings don’t lay flat and they’re a bit narrow.  When I make this again, I’ll just use bias binding instead.  Also, the way they have you sew the sleeve facings is dumb.  They make you sew them in the round and that includes doing the slit, which is just a little V.  I did that on my muslin and it was not easy to maneuver that V! This time, I just applied the facings flat.

One other thing about this pattern: it’s long.  I usually have to lengthen all tops and jackets a full inch, but this thing is long all by itself!  That’s very unusual.

This pattern would work in a lot of different fabrics, from casual to fancy.  This would be nice in a stretch velvet, I think.  I wonder where I could find some?

No comments:

Post a Comment