Aug 1, 2011

Something Other Than a Skirt for a Change

 Okay, I admit it.  I made another skirt this weekend.  At least this is one I haven't made before.  And I made another skirt the weekend before that!  Yeah, yeah.  I'll get to them.  It's about 140 degrees outside so picture-taking is prohibited.  Actually, the one I plan to wear tomorrow goes with a top I'd like to show, so maybe I can catch a picture or two before the asbestos suit has to come out.

Even though I have a vintage dress pattern to sew for a friend's wedding in a month (and no muslin yet but, at least I have the fabric!),  I don't know if I can wait that long to make up one or both of these old beauties.
The good folks at Acme Notions wasted no time in sending me these.  They're just a tad larger than I need but, what can you do?

The neckline is a bit high on this Vogue, but I'm more drawn to the yellow version anyway.  I have some old, old lightweight green silk that my mother had leftover from something she made back in the early 60s.  This might just be the pattern I've waited 25 years for!  You know how you have a special fabric and FINALLY you find the perfect pattern for it?  This might just be that pattern.  The nifty notched hem is made by attaching a facing, which is much better than that extremely annoying method most patterns have you struggle with.  The back has a 6" zipper but, wouldn't it be nice if it had buttons instead?



Here's something sporty.  I mean -- the illustration says it all!  I like all three of these, although I might have to forgo the cutsey bow thing in the front, there.  Who knows?  I may not be able to resist.  That white one is my favorite. 


Can you believe this thing was once only 35 cents?  So few things cost less than a dollar that the little cents symbol isn't even on keyboards anymore! (Say that in an old lady voice.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment